POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e : Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e Server Time
25 Apr 2024 23:39:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 3 Aug 2020 13:45:00
Message: <web.5f284cb0f6dfcecf1f9dae300@news.povray.org>
I haven't had much time to explore all of the forks and other projects - but
while they are under development, maybe I could throw some old and new ideas
out.

SO many people have asked to have values like the camera location be available.

As it is a vector, having the ability to have such a value be translated,
rotated, etc. and then queried for the result reminds me that having a point or
vector object that can be manipulated using standard SDL commands would be very
useful for a lot of folks who need to do that kind of thing.

Working on Yadgar's code, I realized that it might be an interesting and useful
thing to be able to access the current memory usage and the current number of
tokens parsed - for reporting, but also to define a bailout so as not to crash
the system, etc.

Obviously there have been many requests for vector functions, and that leads me
to bring this up:
#macro eval_pigment(pigm, vec)
    #local fn = function { pigment { pigm } }
    #local result = (fn(vec.x, vec.y, vec.z));
    result
#end

Somehow this magically returns a vector quantity, rather than a scalar.  :O

Matrix objects would be very nice for certain 3D graphics calculations and
transformations.  Maybe a matrix convolution function for image processing.  I
can see this being closely related to the recent work on function gradients as
well.

1D and 2D fast Fourier transforms.
Paul Bourke already has 2D in-place FFT code in c++ posted on his site.
http://paulbourke.net/miscellaneous/dft/

Just throwing out ideas, as these are inherently source code edits and
additions.