POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? : Re: whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
19 May 2024 21:56:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: whither POV-Ray ??
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 23 Jul 2020 07:10:00
Message: <web.5f196f1317b7b05ffb0b41570@news.povray.org>

> Went to add this and realized I probably am not the best person to word
> it as I'm looking from the inside. I'd rather have it worded by a user
> in the way they think best sets it out. Would you like to make a suggestion?

At the moment, the major 4 points that I see are:

Moray was NOT 'given' to the POV-Ray project.
[You] personally purchased it from the author.
[It's a LOT more complicated and layered than most people think and there's no
one to work on it][And you're looking for developers - otherwise it may never
happen][When it's DONE, you will donate it it - but NOT until then - because you
CAN'T]
Lutz has recently added STL import/export.

So, perhaps make another post just talking about it - How many pieces, how many
layers, how many things need to be "clean room" rewritten, etc, and I or someone
else can probably distill that down into a short, concise blurb that removes all
confusion and mystery.

> (Also feel free to suggest where it should go: I assumed the news
> section on the front page, but that may not be best as it will scroll
> down over time).

The HOME section has "tabs" (Welcome, Download and Navigation, Contacting us,
....) so perhaps another such tab could be added.   Other forums have "stickies"
that stay "pinned" to the top of the list of threads and topics.
Some forums have sections that are only open (writable) for admin.  Perhaps that
would be a good way to post FAQ / "static" information.

There's also the Moray web page, in case anyone approaches things starting from
there.