POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? : Re: whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
8 May 2024 21:15:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: whither POV-Ray ??
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 22 Jul 2020 21:45:01
Message: <web.5f18ead717b7b05ffb0b41570@news.povray.org>

> Even if it generated a fork similar to MegaPOV as a "research fork", that
> might increase interest in the main branch development.

I'm not sure what might draw people in - but it could be anything.

There are job-search sites, and perhaps there are types of job headings that
requests for developers could be listed under.  A shiny ray-traced graphic or
two and a link to the HOF could pique someone's interest.

Social media, image hosting sites, YouTube, gaming sites, other forums, math
sites, programming sites - you name it - you never know what will pop up in
someone's search results, or get their attention in a forum or comment section.

I used to do some guerilla marketing for stuff like this, and I said - "What's
popular?"
Movies, music, bands, tattoos, 3D printing, ...
Surely here and there a few people could do what they already know and raytrace
a few simple Movie stills, titles, band logos, tattoo designs, etc. and post
them where they might grab people's attention.  "Made with POV-Ray v3.X"
Ask about a POV-Ray problem in a math or graphics forum.  I'm doing this thing
in _POV-Ray_, and....
Like just work it in anywhere, once a day.  Link to it, mention it, find a way
to post/attach/integrate even the smallest, simplest render...
I took another approach to possibly direct traffic to a site once, and paid for
an email address through their domain (also as a way to donate and support
them).  If people got email from Me### [at] POV-Rayorg, then someone will eventually
wonder WTH POV-Ray.org _IS_.   Enough people using that type of email as an
address, and you get a sort of de-facto marketing campaign just as a byproduct
of people going about their daily business.

Literally anything could trigger someone to visit the site and become interested
- which then goes on to become word-of-mouth as well.

Live coding.
A short tutorial on some easy topic that gets covered in EVERY undergraduate
math/physics/comp sci/graphics class.
A code example in SDL for a commonly searched algorithm.
An interview with POV-Team members or Newsgroup artists.
I see people post "fan art" for social media sites.  "Hey, that's cool - you did
that with .... POV-Ray?"
Wikipedia illustrations - we already have a few people doing that.

And putting something right at the top of the web page would be the first thing
I'd do.
"Looking for developers, debuggers, beta-testers...."
"Here's what we need:   1.    2.    3.       "