POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e : Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e Server Time
26 Apr 2024 13:47:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e
From: jr
Date: 21 Jul 2020 10:35:08
Message: <web.5f16fc0df6dfcecf4d00143e0@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> > On 7/20/20 8:54 AM, jr wrote:
> > ... Hmm, wonder, if you've got multiple libraries and no symlink
> > to a version-less name like libpng.so.1 I'm unsure how one library would
> > be picked over another? Do you have the common sym link name given you
> > have two libpngs?
>
> bingo.  yes, the "version-less" names ('libpng.{la,so}') were pointing to the
> old(est) version; guess must have happened when I re-compiled/re-installed
> 1.6.37.  cheers.

right, and now we're getting to the bit where it gets .. strange.  :-)

built the new version of 'povray2', checked libpng link - ok, and 'make check'
ran fine, so installed.  went back into the scenes directory, and all three
scenes now fail with:
  Trace Time:       0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0.354 seconds)
              using 4 thread(s) with 1.388 CPU-seconds total
Cannot allocate PNG data structures
Cannot allocate PNG data structures
Render failed

:-)  everything works as normal until it needs to write the disk file.

unfortunately cannot try those scenes with alpha.10064268, but checked that, and
other programs linking to 'libpng16', still work.  and 'povray2' output to, say,
jpeg, is ok.

'make check' succeeded because it doesn't actually try to write to disk?

regards, jr.