POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? : Re: whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
1 May 2024 09:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: whither POV-Ray ??
From: jr
Date: 5 Jul 2020 11:15:01
Message: <web.5f01eda617b7b05f4d00143e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

Thorsten <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
> On 04.07.2020 14:36, Bald Eagle wrote:
> > Chris Cason<del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg>  wrote:
> I think the first thing to understand is that the code and the language
> are the way they are by design, and that design makes a real lot of
> sense if you take a serious and not a superficial look. ...
> I have been around from 3.1 to 3.7 release cycles after all.

that would seem to make you the person to ask a technical question.  :-)

while I'm quite happy with the SDL per se, I really miss "introspection" tools.
along the lines 'typeof()' and 'obj_info()'.

so, how difficult would it be, from your perspective, to implement a 'typeof()'
function which returns an integer value (no enums, alas) that could be used like
eg (with made-up "magic" numbers):

#switch (typeof(Name))
  #case (0)
    // have an object.
    #break
  #case (1)
    // have a vector.
    #break
#end

and, if in yr opinion it's not too difficult, can you please outline (roughly)
the steps, and, perhaps, the source files likely to be involved?

regards, jr.