POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Ignorance rules! : Re: Ignorance rules! Server Time
4 May 2024 19:25:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ignorance rules!
From: jr
Date: 26 Jun 2020 07:30:01
Message: <web.5ef5dbceea0d75ea4d00143e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 6/24/20 8:12 PM, jr wrote:
> >> First, reminding everyone 'povr' is not POV-Ray. I'm combining my
> >> SDL, I begin to think seriously about bindings to lua, tcl and python.
> >
> > so, it is late and I had too much coffee, probably..  :-)
> > how about replacing the SDL, wholesale?!
>
> Suppose the short answer is it's harder than it looks... And I agree
> with Bald Eagle about there never being enough coffee. When did I last
> drink water, straight... :-)

:-)

> It's not quite what you posted example wise, but I do sometimes wonder
> how far one might get creating a tcl intepreter supporting POV-Ray's
> commands as is. Meaning, aiming more for a parser replacement without
> trying to address existing shortcomings from the start.

thanks for giving me/us some insight in to your "personal" tools.

on parser replacement, I guess that's what I meant by a "safe" interpreter
pre-loaded with commands; the example was just off the top the head.  in fact,
had I thought ahead, I'd written:

set version 3.8
include colors.inc
array set global_settings {...}
light_source location {-1 1 -1 10e5} color white mods {parallel shadowless}

ie use 'dict' style lists as arguments, throughout.

anyway, personally, I look forward to more Tcl .. influence on development.

(re lists.  I think a distribution .inc file implementing an i/f similar to Tcl
lists would (could?) be sufficient/"good enough")

regards, jr.