POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : Function / pattern issues. Povr supertoroid parametric. : Re: Function / pattern issues. Povr supertoroid parametric. Server Time
16 May 2024 19:56:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Function / pattern issues. Povr supertoroid parametric.
From: jr
Date: 17 Jun 2020 06:05:00
Message: <web.5ee9e8473a5198914d00143e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > that, for example, would make (CLI or .ini) uses like 'declare=N=2' and such
> > impossible.
>
> I don't know what that does, and that may be true with the current way
> everything functions.

say you have a number of .. knobs which change things in a scene, like having
radiosity enabled or disabled, eg
  #if (1 = Rad)
    // the radiosity stuff.
  #end

then, either on the command-line or in an .ini, you could
  declare=Rad=1
to enable radiosity for (just) that render, w/out needing to edit the scene.

can't have strings, ie 'declare=X="foo"' won't work, still, v useful.

> If there was a way that POV-Ray could read from inside of an uncompressed
> archive file, then we could tie interconnected files together so as to not
> inadvertently separate them, yet still be able to read/edit them.
> Apparently tar does this.

+1.  bundling up all project scene/inc/image/etc files in a single container,
and POV-Ray "mounting" them as virtual file systems, would be extremely neat.
(one for version 5.x.  :-))

regards, jr.