POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : Function / pattern issues. Povr supertoroid parametric. : Re: Function / pattern issues. Povr supertoroid parametric. Server Time
29 Apr 2024 15:30:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Function / pattern issues. Povr supertoroid parametric.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 16 Jun 2020 13:45:00
Message: <web.5ee904d93a519891fb0b41570@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> I guess that you not being a user of .ini files does not help.  :-)  perhaps, as
> Bald Eagle suggested else-thread, a poll of actual and potential users, asking
> their opinion on (desired) features/functionality?

I don't use them either, except for animations, and only then because - that's
the way it works.

I would much rather have a way to have everything contained in one scene file
rather than in multiple files.  A temporary working ini file could be
constructed to run the animation and store whatever persistent stuff is needed
across all frames.

I'm also a fan of multiple ways of performing the same task.
So, leaving .ini alone, I'd say the same functionality should be available from
within the .pov file.
But I mean, that's my personal preference, and things that I expect to see in
commercial software.  And something that MS messes up on a regular basis.

I'd like to see the "command line options" capable of being invoked from within
the .pov file as well.

And, it's tough, with the way that POV-Ray is, and the way the files and
primitives are structured, and the way a scene has to be parsed and then
rendered - it limits what is possible and what is practical.