POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurface beveled text : Re: Isosurface beveled text Server Time
26 Apr 2024 08:33:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface beveled text
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 18 May 2020 07:20:01
Message: <web.5ec26e482b13293afb0b41570@news.povray.org>

> > Perhaps make Center-line fonts / Single-line fonts from standard fonts, or the
> > reverse?
>
> I don't know what you mean here.

Well, if you're rounding the forward face of the font, then extrapolate that
rounding to the point where the ends of the rounding curve meet.  Only use
_that_ point as a datum.  Once the entire glyph has been scanned, you should
have something that would be what you'd see if you drew a single line along the
center parts of the wide typeface.  Thus, "Center-line / Single-line" fonts.

Presumably if that were possible, then you'd be more than halfway along to doing
the reverse - taking a single line character and widening it to make a character
with an offset curve.

And that line of thinking leads me to ask: What happens when you start playing
with the isosurface threshold to get the different level sets?
I'd also try defining a pigment {function {YourIsosurfaceFunction}} and applying
that to a box or plane to see what that looks like.  Could be fun esp if you
make a word with min ().  :)

I'm guessing you're using a point cloud / df3 / object pattern sort of approach?

- Bill