POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : RoundEdge 2.0: unequal edge radii : Re: RoundEdge 2.0: unequal edge radii Server Time
26 Apr 2024 06:34:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RoundEdge 2.0: unequal edge radii
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 30 Apr 2020 13:30:00
Message: <web.5eab0b0e9fcd114afb0b41570@news.povray.org>

> In my experience it helps with POV-Ray 3.6, but slows things down with
> POV-Ray 3.7--for the same isosurface function!  I once had a mind to ask
> the group about this anomaly, but I never got a round tuit (POVers
> charge a premium for those!), and I cannot find my records of the timing
> statistics.  I don't normally use it, but I believe Thomas de Groot uses
> it a great deal.

Hmmm.   I didn't know about the 3.6 to 3.7 issue.

I use it ... maybe 50% of the time?
Because I'm fantastically lazy with experimental / developmental code, and just
copy existing code from whatever file or open tab is closest at hand.

I have been meaning to get 'round to writing a nice concise isosurface code
block for my Insert Menu stuff, but I haven't gotten there yet.   Maybe by
2021...

If I can remember to do it, I can record times for with/without evaluate in the
future.

Maybe I'll just collect a bunch of functions into an array and see if I can
figure out how to record the render times automagically when I run them all as
an animation.

Is there a way to access and record the max_gradient that was found and write
that to a file?