POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mapping Textures on irregular shapes : Re: Mapping Textures on irregular shapes Server Time
18 May 2024 19:25:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mapping Textures on irregular shapes
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 29 Apr 2020 07:05:00
Message: <web.5ea95e8672e01857fb0b41570@news.povray.org>
"Josh" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> How do I align a pigment with a normal? Say I have an isosurface that I want to
> apply an agate normal to, but also an agate pigment_map that matches perfectly,
> so that I can color just the 'valleys' of the normal map? Does that make sense?
> It almost looks like it matches, but when I render one time with just the
> pigment_map and one time with just the normal, I don't think they are the same
> pattern.

Looks like you're doing it right.
Might just be the the way the light strikes it, or the way the eyes are more
sensitive to the finer changes in colors of the pigment map vs the effect of the
normal.

Notice I did pigment and normal and THEN scaled (easier to keep track of, and
ensures they're exactly the same)

Maybe play around with the bump_size.

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/339/
The PATTERN_TYPE may optionally be followed by a float value that controls the
apparent depth of the bumps. Typical values range from 0.0 to 1.0 but any value
may be used. Negative values invert the pattern. The default value if none is
specified is 0.5.

#version 3.8;

global_settings {
 assumed_gamma 1.0
}

#include "colors.inc"

#declare Aspect = image_width/image_height;
#declare Zoom = 120;
camera {
 orthographic
 right     x*image_width/Zoom
 up   y*image_height/Zoom
 location <0, 0, -10>
 look_at  <0, 0, 0>
}

light_source {<0, 0.2, -20> color White } //shadowless}
sky_sphere {pigment {rgb 1}}

#declare B = 0.4;

box {<-1, -1, -0.1>, <0, 1, 0>
 texture {