POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Livelihoods : Re: Livelihoods Server Time
19 May 2024 04:34:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Livelihoods
From: jr
Date: 28 Apr 2020 11:35:00
Message: <web.5ea84be9144bf601898043f30@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Norbert Kern" <nor### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> I feel the right to decide, if I give the data by free will - that's all.

agree with the sentiment.  (in spite of, ironically, being an enthusiastic user
of Google.  :-))

> Personally I'ld like to know, why is there so much surveillance in London. Is it
> because of the terrorist attacks of 2005/2017?

good questions both; and not just in the UK.  I think (disclaimer: not a
historian etc) that the roots go back (at least) to medieval monarchs having
"dark arts + thugs" departments to .. maintain competitive advantage, which
became more "proper" institutions, necessarily, with the empire
building/expansion and "maintainance".

> Even then it seems to me unusual for a western country.

"By the end of the 20th century, the ECHELON surveillance network had evolved
into a global system capable of sweeping up massive amounts of private and
commercial communications, including telephone calls, fax, e-mail and other data
traffic. This was done through the interception of communication bearers such as
satellite transmission and public switched telephone networks."
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes#ECHELON_network_disclosures_(1972%E2%80%932000)>

"According to declassified (but partly redacted) US government documents
released in 2015, in 1955, Crypto AG's founder Boris Hagelin and William
Friedman entered into an unwritten agreement concerning the C-52 encryption
machines that compromised the security of some of the purchasers."
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crypto_AG#Compromised_machines>

:-)

how much remains .. undisclosed?

regards, jr.