POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Improved bounding box by alignment via SVD : Re: Improved bounding box by alignment via SVD Server Time
8 May 2024 08:04:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Improved bounding box by alignment via SVD
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 25 Apr 2020 09:55:00
Message: <web.5ea440ad35e3eb7fb0b41570@news.povray.org>

> It is an interesting problem given how simple it appears to be at first glance.

And indeed it looks simple, and simple cases like a cylinder or box get handles
nicely; however, when I make an "L", a curious thing happens.   First, I don't
get anything near what I'd imagine is an even poorly-optimized orientation, and
second, I sometimes get a worse result.  But the really interesting thing is
that the algorithm registers 90 degrees as the optimum rotation for y and 0 for
z and x no matter what seed value I use for the initial randomization of the
orientation.

So, something is seriously amiss, yet I'm looking right past it.  Ugh.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'gradientbounding.png' (131 KB)

Preview of image 'gradientbounding.png'
gradientbounding.png