POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.8 Clean up TODOs. f_superellipsoid() / shadow cache. : Re: v3.8 Clean up TODOs. f_superellipsoid() / shadow cache. Server Time
26 Apr 2024 15:07:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.8 Clean up TODOs. f_superellipsoid() / shadow cache.
From: jr
Date: 18 Apr 2020 16:15:01
Message: <web.5e9b5f361e176347827e2b3e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> Trick helps enough, I wonder if some other inbuilts could benefit from a
> float over double option too.

does the .. cost of extra speed, in context, matter so much?  asking because
(and perhaps I'm completely off-track) only today was a post (by user 'guarnio')
where the problem is/was the range of float not being enough.

> But, I'm deleting many of the more obscure
> built in functions(1). We have functions for shapes and 'things' that
> are interesting to run - once - but not generally useful otherwise. Plus
> the values and polarities are all over the place with them. Leaves not
> many functions where the trick might apply.
>
> Bill P.
>
> (1) - Maybe at some point down the road I'll create a f_museum()
> function and roll all of the obscure stuff into that one function by index.

I think that if 'f_museum' is created first, and then various functions
"retired" there, they'll remain available at all times.  ("v good" at voicing my
opinions :-))

regards, jr.