POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Patterns / functions. Obscure details. Noise etc. : Re: Patterns / functions. Obscure details. Noise etc. Server Time
2 May 2024 07:26:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Patterns / functions. Obscure details. Noise etc.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 15 Apr 2020 20:40:00
Message: <web.5e97a86f351a066fb0b41570@news.povray.org>
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>
> > Yep, you can by sampling enough to create continuous values, but it's
> > not all that usable implemented in SDL.

I was able to puzzle things out and experiment a bit with parameters.
It works, but is still a bit rough.   Only takes 28 seconds though.   :)

> I will compare my notes with your working code.   :)

Somewhat similar approaches - I'm using an average of the function evaluated at
a variable number of delta-h's (function constructed with a #for loop) along
each of the 3 axes.   You sample around a sphere, and do some complex binary
searching stuff...

I tried using f_r, but I got a lot of weird results.

When my function values cross 0, I get rounding of the corners in the +x and +z
directions, and the same thing happens to a lesser extent when I use too many
samples and flatten the gradient too much.

Shown is a test object, good function results, graph of good function, and the
bad results just mentioned.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'curvedprism.png' (57 KB)