POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Patterns / functions. Obscure details. Noise etc. : Re: Patterns / functions. Obscure details. Noise etc. Server Time
2 May 2024 05:39:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Patterns / functions. Obscure details. Noise etc.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 15 Apr 2020 17:00:08
Message: <web.5e977517351a066fb0b41570@news.povray.org>

> Yep, you can by sampling enough to create continuous values, but it's
> not all that usable implemented in SDL. Look for some zip file called
> ObjectAsISO maybe I put out on the news server in 2008 or maybe 2009.

Excellent - that's exactly the approach I began exploring upon understanding
what the problem was after reading
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/dont.htm

It's kinda like calculating normals, combined with dithering / convolving.

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3Cweb.4aae23151285f23f15ee2c550%40news.povray.org%3E/

Downloaded.

I will compare my notes with your working code.   :)

> The hard_object pattern in povr is an inbuilt version of the approach.
> The soft_object pattern another alternative.

I'm sure you've thought about /succeeded in writing the shape out to a df3 -
maybe that would speed things up after the initial conversion...

> If your shape / structure is complex csg, things become unbearably slow
> -  because POV-Ray today tests each shape one by one.

Hmmm.  Can I manually bound the individual elements to mitigate that?