POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVEarth: Norway, Svalbard, Moffen Island : Re: POVEarth: Norway, Svalbard, Moffen Island Server Time
29 Apr 2024 09:02:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVEarth: Norway, Svalbard, Moffen Island
From: jr
Date: 14 Apr 2020 06:00:00
Message: <web.5e95891799da5e40827e2b3e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

=?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=b6rg_=22Yadgar=22_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> On 14.04.20 09:51, jr wrote:
> > agree with this.  ~70% of the surface is ocean, so a lo-res representation of
> > that alone would lead to significant savings.
>
> But how to do this - as the reliefs are not "flat", but follow Earth's
> curvature?

o you could "mix" tiles.  using the 30m where detail matters, using 90m for
other areas.

o you could pre-process each ocean etc tile, averaging out N neighbouring
pixels.

o you could reduce the #vertices per mesh.  for instance, if the mesh data is
stored in GTS format, there's a tool ('gtstricutter' (have not used it (yet)))
which can remove triangles according to some constraints you supply on the
command-line.

there will any number of other ways too, I guess.

regards, jr.