POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVEarth: Norway, Svalbard, Moffen Island : Re: POVEarth: Norway, Svalbard, Moffen Island Server Time
26 Apr 2024 05:49:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVEarth: Norway, Svalbard, Moffen Island
From: jr
Date: 6 Apr 2020 04:30:01
Message: <web.5e8ae78d99da5e40827e2b3e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

=?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=b6rg_=22Yadgar=22_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> On 04.04.20 11:26, jr wrote:
> Did I understand you correctly so far that you want me to set up the
> https://gnadlib.wordpress.com/2020/04/05/fahrrad/webspace in a way that
> POV-Ray immediately can access the original data files on the server
> (remote file access in POV-Ray? Must be a new feature in 3.7 which
> escaped my attention until now...) and process them?

no.  as Bald Eagle pointed out, you misunderstood (completely).

the website I referred to is "povearth.de".  and Bald Eagle's reply provides a
fine summary of what would be expected.

> This probably would not be possible, as 2 TB additional webspace is at
> the upper limit I can afford - and the original files come as *.zip from
> the NASA server...

in an earlier post you wrote "as a Linux user".  that gives you the opportunity
to use (significantly) better compression for the data than zip achieves; I'd
"re-package" the zipped data using either 'gzip(1)' or, better, 'xz(1)'.  (for
instance, I have a VRML ASCII data file which, using xz, crunched from just over
1G to just under 10M)

also, the 'sed' command features an '-i' option switch which allows you to
update the file, no need to make intermediate copies; you can supply multiple
expressions ('-e'), too.

regards, jr.