POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVEarth: Norway, Svalbard, Moffen Island : Re: POVEarth: Norway, Svalbard, Moffen Island Server Time
26 Apr 2024 16:58:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVEarth: Norway, Svalbard, Moffen Island
From: jr
Date: 4 Apr 2020 05:30:00
Message: <web.5e8852e399da5e40451952ca0@news.povray.org>
hi,

=?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=b6rg_=22Yadgar=22_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> Registration required!
>
> Unless I have access to a real high-performance computer (not that
> shoddy consumer stuff), I probably will not generate mesh2 terrain
> slices from all available ASTER data tiles, as this would take me no
> less than 22 years - if I generated one mesh2 per day. Anyone who would
> like to contribute to the titanic task of POVEarth by downloading tiles
> and processing them is hereby invited to join me! During the coming
> weeks, I will set up a new webspace under the domain povearth.de where
> you may upload your terrain slices!

I'd be willing to process the odd slice/tile data, _but_, since I have no
interest in the data itself (only in "community support" :-)), I would not want
to register etc.  my suggestion is that you'll organise the whole thing a little
like SETI or Folding@Home, that is, I'd go to your website and find an archive
with the necessary POV-Ray, sed, etc scripts, and a form where I'd enter (with
email) a request for one slice/tile, and receive, by return, either the data
attached or, preferably, a link so I can 'wget' the file.  added advantage would
be no inadvertent duplication of work.

regards, jr.