POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : STL binary floating data. : Re: STL binary floating data. Server Time
7 May 2024 01:25:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: STL binary floating data.
From: GioSeregni
Date: 9 Mar 2020 21:50:00
Message: <web.5e66f0eb517dbb512c923fbd0@news.povray.org>

> POV-RAY can read in the ASCII STL file, and write out the data to a binary STL.
>
> As I have investigated doing this not long ago, the real PITA here is trying to
> parse and process the ASCII in POV-RAY.
>
> What _I_ wound up doing was just using a LibreOffice spreadsheet to go from
> ASCII STL to a POV-RAY mesh object.   If that initial pre-processing step in the
> workflow isn't a big deal, then you could do the same to format your ASCII STL
> data, and then use POV-RAY to read in and write out a binary STL file.

Thanks! I have my import export for generale purpose, a lot of work in many
years, this problem is solved ...
The goal for export bin stl WHILE I am working on the CAD dwg, is for to view a
runtime quickly step by step the design, and without I have to save the dwg (or
DXF).
I am able to export in ASCII file from CAD immediately, it works fine but the
ascii is big and slow to write and to read...
I should understand how to write an AutoLISP function that reads a double float
but writes a single (as bin STL needs).
In the real LISP it is possible without trick, but in the reduct set of the
functions of AutoLISP does not have this option.
I saw on internet but to write a trick is over my capacity.
There is a need to build a binary string by manipulating the individual bits
:(

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'clipboard01.jpg' (55 KB)