POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : HELP REQUEST: Twisted Ropes of Ballista : Re: HELP REQUEST: Twisted Ropes of Ballista Server Time
6 May 2024 01:47:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HELP REQUEST: Twisted Ropes of Ballista
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 5 Mar 2020 14:50:06
Message: <web.5e6157bd5f4031dc4eec112d0@news.povray.org>
So, here's what it looks like after doing a fair bit of fiddling, trying to make
the HF's "pop", and partly sifting through all of the bolts to try to
differentiate/accentuate those as well.

Observations:

1.  It looks - front heavy.   Like it would tilt/fall forward at a moment's
notice.

2.  The ropes need to be WAY thicker - I'm thinking like 7 times what you've got
- surround that one skinny rope with a hexagon of other ropes.

3.  There needs to be a lot more ropes wound around the throwing arm, and you've
got the second part of the ropes the wrong way around.   Pulling back the
throwing arm would only loosen them.   It would also be good to have at least 3
different rope textures to give some variation and visually differentiate the
individual lines. (and I have to fix the extent - somehow what I have is too
short at the bottom)

4.   The original "FrontShield" texture was a stock copper.   Is that what you'd
want?

5.  That leather texture is pretty nice.   :)   Yours?
I'm thinking add a bit of a leather under-texture and fray out the impact points
a bit to simulate wear.

6. Still too clean and pretty for a war engine.  Have you thought of using CH's
isowoods for the pieces?   Also someone who knows how to dirty it up with a
proximity pattern would be a great addition.

So here's a dual view at 1366 x 768 with lots of light and radiosity.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'romanballista.png' (1055 KB)

Preview of image 'romanballista.png'