POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crummy isosurface evaluation. : Re: Crummy isosurface evaluation. Server Time
26 Apr 2024 16:09:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crummy isosurface evaluation.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 19 Feb 2020 17:45:01
Message: <web.5e4db994b459495b4eec112d0@news.povray.org>
Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

.... because the equation of a sphere is x^2 + y^2 +z^2 = r^2 ?
So I just rearranged it to be x^2 + y^2 +z^2 - r^2 = 0 for the isosurface.

> Do you realize that
> sqrt(Gradient/(Gradient*Min_factor)) = sqrt(1/Min_factorf) ?

Sure - It's just a thing copied from the docs.  And it only gets evaluated once
AFAIK, so I just keep it the same for recognition purposes.   But good eye.

> For the base sphere, you can use the internal one.
> #include "function.inc"
> then, use f_sphere(x,y,z, Radius)

I can.   But I like to see all the moving parts, and a function definition is
less overhead than a whole include file.   I wasn't sure what I'd be modifying
as I tweaked all the little bits in my quest.

Thanks as always for keeping a keen eye on the details.   :)