POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Strange cuts on rendered objects : Re: Strange cuts on rendered objects Server Time
26 Apr 2024 11:33:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange cuts on rendered objects
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 3 Feb 2020 13:25:01
Message: <web.5e3865396f77a7a54eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"Francescodario Cuzzocrea" <fra### [at] mailpolimiit> wrote:

> Specifically, I'm using POVRay to generate images of a spacecraft in random
> position into a generic orbit, which subsequently I'll analyze with different
> computer vision algorithms to try to recognize the spacecraft into the scene.

Sounds very cool - what computer vision algorithms are you using?
And welcome to the forum.  :)

> Here two pictures of the problem :
>  - https://gitlab.com/bosconovic/spacacecraft-pov/blob/master/tango_102.png
>  - https://gitlab.com/bosconovic/spacacecraft-pov/blob/master/tango_30.png
>
> In the first one almost half of the spacecraft is cutted, in the second on the
> left a piece of the solar panel is cutted.
>
> Can anyone help me out to understand what I'm doing wrong ?

Without seeing the code for your scene --- it could be almost anything.

With that said, if I had to simply guess, I'd say that maybe what you're seeing
is a hard shadow from something, if you have other objects in your scene.
Adding finish {diffuse 0.5} and maybe adding a white sky_sphere to your scene
would help you determine if you're just not reflecting any light from occluded
surfaces.

- Bill