POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : bad bathtub : Re: bad bathtub Server Time
3 May 2024 10:42:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bad bathtub
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 26 Dec 2019 20:30:00
Message: <web.5e055dad9d8c40234eec112d0@news.povray.org>
Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:

> Huh. There is an unexpected black frame here. Wild that I never noticed
> it before. :) :(  (I mean, how many hundreds of times have I looked at
> these individual frames...)

Right - the tendency to "read through" stuff like that due to [over]familiarity
is why they always say to have someone else proofread your stuff for you.

> This one's on purpose.

There's a jarring "blip" around 9:18 where the eel kinda hits the water surface.
 I watched it in Media Player, but I remember seeing another very dark frame or
two in the weeds when I watched it with VLC.   Maybe it's more pronounced in one
than the other.  I'll have to see if I can watch it in 1/2 - 1/4 speed, or step
through it frame by frame.

It would be interesting to have an output statistic in POV-Ray which summed all
the RGB values of the pixels and then divided by the number of pixels to give an
overall "brightness" value.  It probably wouldn't add much to the render time
since it's rendering pixel by pixel anyway...