POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to engrave text on a ring : Re: How to engrave text on a ring Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:29:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to engrave text on a ring
From: Stephen
Date: 23 Dec 2019 13:20:01
Message: <web.5e01049a29ef247f54809c2a0@news.povray.org>
"Havana7" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Someone made an engraving?

The way I did it in Pov was to create your ring at the origin. Then create a
single letter text object at the origin. Next scale the text object so that is
about the right size with respect to the ring. Translate the text object out to
intersect the ring, for engraving. Copy the text object, change the letter to
the next letter in the word and rotate it about the origin to its correct
position. Rinse and repeat until finished. (This is laborious unless you use a
mono-spaced font.) Put all the text objects in a union and difference that from
the ring.
I found it looked better and was easier when I made a mesh in blender out of a
box with the text differenced and that object deformed into a circular ring.
Then rendered it in Pov. :)