POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Edelweiss Seat WIP : Re: Edelweiss Seat WIP Server Time
5 May 2024 05:38:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Edelweiss Seat WIP
From: jr
Date: 19 Dec 2019 12:35:00
Message: <web.5dfbb35652e9f818c662f470@news.povray.org>
hi,

> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
> > ... I noticed that a 'libvisio' is now part of the s/ware.
> >  do you have same on your Linux distro?
> > code at: <https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=libvisio.git>
> > installs what look like diagram to raw/text/html converters.
>
> Clicking on that link just gives me a page that says "Gone".

"gerrit libvisio" nets that link plus a couple of other (promising looking) in
the top five.

> My software manager has Vsd2odg and Vsdump, which might have uses ----

here I see 'vsd2xxx' and 'vss2xxx' executables.

> but the useful thing about VISIO is the GUI - the shape handles and numerical
> readout of exact x,y coordinates, the snap and glue, alignment and spacing...
> Some software comes close - but they really miss those key points and a few
> small ease-of-use features.

to be frank, I think you should try running the KDE desktop.  that, plus
Gnumeric and LibreOffice, will probably see you right.  (I found KDE too ..
Redmond, even back when)

before I forget, you too couldn't get BRL-CAD working?  in one of the
slackbuilds.org pages I read that Qt5 (and or 4) has to be removed from the
machine first.  :-)

> I think that the "ideal" modeler would be something where you could "draw"
> things with that kind of real-time visual feedback, but then have a way of
> interspersing some code-driven tasks to add new objects or do something with the
> existing ones.

the source to the .. legendary Moray was handed over ten (or so) years ago.  if
the "gods" had community spirit/sense, the source would be available here, and,
I bet, porting the source would have been done long ago too.

> I've dropped breadcrumbs here and there over the years, and it would be great if
> we had a wiki page for just keeping a list of ideas and concepts and to-do type
> things.  Perhaps not always things that are "possible" - but as an ideal
> asymptote to approach.

agree very much.  the wiki needs to be put (back) to use.

regards, jr.