POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Version 3.8: Input_File_Name - where has it gone? : Re: Version 3.8: Input_File_Name - where has it gone? Server Time
2 May 2024 06:52:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Version 3.8: Input_File_Name - where has it gone?
From: greytery
Date: 14 Dec 2019 13:45:01
Message: <web.5df52a37cce2d5d15209d200@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,

OK OK OK. 'FIXED'. Stand Down. As you were ...

The problem is with the .ini files in each of the OLD examples, e.g. 6338.ini.
These were generated by Version 3.1.  I've 'fixed' that by copying one of the
NEW ini, e.g. crocodile_engine.ini, and replacing the OLD .ini file - changing
the 'Input_File_Name=' of course.  Once done they ALL behave themselves as
normal. Just what the real underlying problem is - not sure - probably low level
file format handling, unix/windows, blah, blah. Whatever.
They are now producing some smashing .tga scenes and much fun will follow.

> ok, had a quick first look at 6338.  problems with (a) renamed components (eg
> "ffblock2_2" is now "tile2x2".  there are quite a few others) in 6338.{mac,pov},
> and  (b) names of materials (eg there's no "red_tex" but a "bright_red_tex"
> exists); also, one or two instances where macro #arguments do not match up.
> </sigh>  will have a closer look in the coming week.

Yep. I 'fixed' the renaming issue for these OLD models with a "renamed.mac"
file, which contains about 120 lines like :
    #macro f_block1_12(color_tex,age) plate1x12(color_tex,age) #end
Then in each of the OLD .pov files, #include "renamed.mac", and it flies.
The color issues - at the moment I've edited the NEW material.lib to contain the
OLD colors / textures, but it would be better to include the missing colors in
the "renamed.mac" file.
Another problem is with material_map. I found I had to remove 'interpolate 4'
from these OLD macros, otherwise the transfers are smudged.
If you want I can post that .mac file here, but I think we should get Anton
involved because the files all have his Copyright.

> > got to dash - UK election news starts in 5 mins - will be up all night!
> was it .. worth it?  ;-)

Don't like watching grown men cry.  But it takes all the satisfaction out of
Voting if you have to hold your nose and keep your eyes shut when you put your
cross in the box.

tery