POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Version 3.8: Input_File_Name - where has it gone? : Re: Version 3.8: Input_File_Name - where has it gone? Server Time
1 May 2024 23:44:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Version 3.8: Input_File_Name - where has it gone?
From: jr
Date: 11 Dec 2019 11:05:02
Message: <web.5df112b6cce2d5dfeeb22ff0@news.povray.org>
hi,

"greytery" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > hi,
> > sorry, am getting .. lost in translation.  :-)  is this the same library as
> > available on the link below?  if yes, which file(s)?
> > nice site, thanks.  I looked at the lego library posted here, recently, but
> > found that to be in .. a not-useful state.  the one from the Dutch site is much
> > better, even has documentation!
> >
> I started with the links to the older version of the library posted by Melody;
> Subject: LEGO Library Date: 10 Nov 2019 21:15:01
> This older library is for Version 3.1 but contains 4/5 example LEGO models. Out
> Of Date - but looked very interesting so I disappeared down the LEGO rabbit
> hole. I could be here for some time ....
>
> The new version at the Dutch site is Version 3.7, has changed partnames and
> colours, and includes radiosity, for example. Also it contains 4/5 different
> examples. E.G. 04551_Crocodile_Engine.   'povray crocodile_engine' invokes the
> 'crocodile_engine.ini' just fine, output is tga. (Note: edit the pov file to
> switch off radiosity or lose the will to live).

right.  the "new" version is all I have here.

had to change definition and use of 'grey' in 'material.lib' to 'grey1' to avoid
the keyword name clash, but works ok from then.  the formatting of some files
too is weird -- all content in a single line!

you're not wrong on radiosity.  have now set 'quality=8' in the 'povray.ini'.
:-)

> Switch to one of the earlier examples (6338_hurricane_harbour) and that's when I
> hit the Command Line problem on 3.8: The 6338.ini/6338.pov files cant be called
> successfully unless it's 'povray +I6338.pov', which ignores the .ini file
> anyway.

so, the new version only has 4551, 6482, and 6923 samples.  the Dutch site says
'6338' source "not yet available".

> My point is that the Command Line call is failing to behave as expected.

if you still have unmodified copies of 6338, would you mind posting?  I do want
to have a look (next week).

regards, jr.