POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : [Minimum Volume] Bounding Ellipsoid via SVD : Re: [Minimum Volume] Bounding Ellipsoid via SVD Server Time
15 May 2024 05:04:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [Minimum Volume] Bounding Ellipsoid via SVD
From: jr
Date: 10 Nov 2019 19:45:00
Message: <web.5dc8ae2df7b9a3affeeb22ff0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > > it's been .. quiet.
>
> Well, been busy with RL, reading, re-reading, watching vids, filtering, taking
> notes, processing, etc.
>
> I think I have enough of an understanding of what goes on and what to do with
> it, that it ought to be a viable method.
>
> Will start a new thread in pbi so I can show results.

looks great.

> Thanks for the line of code - that will be the next step after some more
> tinkering:  packaging it up into an easy to use utility.

after posting it occurred to me that you might want your data files resemble the
matrix, rather than having a value per line.  :-)  assuming a justified (with
space chars) layout like:
2
123.0    4.56
  7.89  -2.0

you can use standard *NIX text processing tools to "massage" the data:
$ tr -s ' ' '\n' < myfile | grep -v -e ^$ | ./a.out

in English, 'tr' ("translate") converts spaces to newlines, the '-s' option
"squeezes" any number of consecutive chars into one, the grep looks for lines
which do not match an empty line.

looking forward to more on svd.  is it useful only for (vaguely)
spherical/elliptical shapes?

regards, jr.