POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : [Minimum Volume] Bounding Ellipsoid via SVD : Re: [Minimum Volume] Bounding Ellipsoid via SVD Server Time
28 Apr 2024 16:06:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [Minimum Volume] Bounding Ellipsoid via SVD
From: jr
Date: 6 Nov 2019 18:10:01
Message: <web.5dc351fcf7b9a3affeeb22ff0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > re 1.  why can you not simply change the 'generate_matrix' (I think) function,
> > to fill that matrix with the file values?
> Well that's what I meant by
> "Should I supply a filename and loop down the rows, reading in x, y, and z?"

if you read everything from std::cin you won't need to bother with file name
handling, just do something like
  $ ./a.out < mydata.xyz

> > re 2. keep the current way of supplying the size, more flexibility; in a file
> > that could be the dimensions row/line before the data lines.
>
> Why not just read in the first value of the file which will be the number of
> vectors...

we're talking the same thing.  :-)  the size of your matrix, followed by the
data values.

> > > There's hardly any data in the header file - I'm assuming that can just be added
> > > to the top of the .cpp file to keep it all self-contained.
> > not sure I follow.
>
> SVD_BW.cpp has:
> #include "stdafx.h"
>
> but all that file has is :
>
> #pragma once           (whatever that is) and
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> So, can't I just copy/paste those lines to the top of the .cpp file and do away
> with the #include "stdafx.h" ?

my (elderly) gcc manual does not list '#pragma once' but the clue seems to be in
the name.  as to 'stdafx.h' -- it's not a "standard header" here, Windows
perhaps?  I'd get rid of the include, and 'stdio.h' is probably included
already.

anyway, the source you posted does not compile, so it's clearly not meant to be.
 on a different subject, when will there be news/code for the pulley stuff?
thinking that, with minor modifications, it would be useful for modelling
tracked vehicles.  :-)

regards, jr.