POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : bounding box calculator : Re: bounding box calculator Server Time
7 May 2024 21:38:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bounding box calculator
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 6 Nov 2019 07:25:00
Message: <web.5dc2baac34d8ef064eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> > The test (using version 2 of bounder.inc) for quartic objects is
> > interesting. Using the Lemniscate object the BB seems to be infinite and
> > the test is considered optimal. See image attached.
>
> I see the BB change in size when the object is aligned, no idea(s).
> interesting.

I guess add some #debug output, and maybe show some or all of the trace ()
tests, coloring them red or green according to if they "hit" or not.  Show each
successive BB with a different color, and that would help show what was going on
and give a better idea.

I would imagine that if POV-Ray can see and render the object, then the macro
ought to give sensible results.

Given an infinite (or sufficiently large) object along one axis, perhaps a
bounding rectangle (a cross-section of the infinitely long BB) could be shown /
reported.

Maybe after the SVD adventure, we coulld throw some function {} foo in there and
do a semi-transparent isosurface as a representation, which would allow
"infinite" objects to be easily displayed (by 'scaling' one axis to 0)

Just some early-morning thoughts.