POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tangents with analytical geomtery : Re: Tangents with analytical geomtery Server Time
27 Apr 2024 08:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tangents with analytical geomtery
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 27 Oct 2019 18:55:01
Message: <web.5db61fe221826f334eec112d0@news.povray.org>
So I cleaned up a few things,

made the native prism transparent to allow for further development
moved the small side and rotated view to the side, and widened the view
added a small region of black to each end of the color map to make things
clearer, esp in the case of small wrong-direction arcs
Put the image map at the back, labeled the gridlines...
switched over to orthographic camera

Saving that file as a backup and proceeding to try to model the original part
highlighted the need to consider the cases where adjacent circles are not
exterior to each other, and likely a need to include a proper _point_ where 2
linear segments can meet at a bend.

Also need to work out - or find - some code to keep most of the scene elements a
constant perceived size - like the line width, text size, etc when the camera
zoom is changed to switch between large and small dimension designs.

I made some progress on sorting out 0,1,2,3,4 tangent cases, and filtering the
code to bypass calculations for nonexistent tangent lines.

Hopefully I will have the time, energy, and focus to work through most of that
over the next several days.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'serpentinebeltprism_dev1.png' (640 KB)

Preview of image 'serpentinebeltprism_dev1.png'
serpentinebeltprism_dev1.png