POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CNRS : Re: CNRS Server Time
26 Apr 2024 12:43:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CNRS
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 19 Oct 2019 18:20:01
Message: <web.5dab8b7746c52bde4eec112d0@news.povray.org>
Francois LE COAT <lec### [at] atariorg> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use POV-Ray 3.7, but I rendered the image successfully with it, here :
>
>  <http://eureka.atari.org/cnrs.png>

Yes, excellent - and now you have a nice scene to use with other isosurface
equations  :)

> It's great, and you're really an advanced user, congratulations !

I'm getting there.  "Experienced", maybe.   "Advanced"...  I think I still have
a few more years to go, and a lot more reading "under the hood" until I can
start to play at the level some of the other folks do.
But thank you for the compliment.  :)

> This
> "80" shape was designed for today, October 19th 2019, the eighty
> anniversary of the CNRS (centre national de la recherche scientifique)
> the french institute for research.

Very nice.  It was pretty neat to read the description of how they came up with
the equation based originally on a torus, and then using some extra math to
perform a union.
I have been learning a lot from the ray-marching folks, and need to return there
to work out some more fun tools.
http://iquilezles.org/www/index.htm

> It's really kind of you to have worked on this, because we can
> celebrate this anniversary worldwide :-) Thanks to you !
>
> I'm really amazed and I will study what you've done closer ...

It was fairly easy, since the equation didn't need much "unraveling" and it was
pretty much one equation with 3 variations.
Then I just plugged it into an existing scene that I made for the purpose.

It was a lot easier then some past work I've done, and I failed to mention that
if you expand all of the terms, or plug the equation into a website that will do
that for you (there are several) - then you can render this as a polynomial {}
object in POV-Ray.

See:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.59eaa80bc23a6d95cafe28e0%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=428294&
toff=250