POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Asteroid Normal Map : Re: Asteroid Normal Map Server Time
26 Apr 2024 23:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Asteroid Normal Map
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 16 Oct 2019 14:05:00
Message: <web.5da75b0044e99bc84eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"NPC" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> I have layered the colors using multiple textures & 'transmit' values, as it was
> the first method I found that worked to get proper additive color mixing in
> Povray.  Since the 'transmit 0.5' halves the 'base' layer and the 'overlay'
> layer, the strength of the colors are doubled before adding them together, so
> 'rgb<2,0,0>' + 'rgb<0,2,0> transmit 0.5' = rgb<1,1,0>.
> As I have to do two transmit layers, the first group is doubled twice.

Using average worked well for me (after much painful struggling)  ;)

http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/thread/%3Cweb.5d2ceb7afbee6e2d4eec112d0%40news.povray.org%3E/

> Because the slope map values are based on the deviation of the ANGLE from a
> reference vector, I need to use 'sine_wave' rather than the default 'ramp_wave'
> to get the proper output from the color map - I need equivalent vector values
> rather than angle values.
>
> I only need the part of the sine wave from the lowest point to the highest
> point, so 'frequency 0.5' is added to use only the first half of the full sine
> wave.  'phase 0.25' moves the sine wave along to the correct starting point.
> Okay, maybe not the *correct* starting point since it now starts at 1 and
> transitions down to 0, but *basically* it works if I reverse the color map
> entries...

THAT is some pretty slick work, there.   Nicely done.
I would not have ever thought of using those tools - as I almost never play with
them.
A simple and elegant solution.

I may have to investigate some of this further one day and see if I can make
some interesting scenes that visually "show how this works".