POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : v3.8 Isosurface artefacts test case. Windows/OSX confirmation? : Re: v3.8 Isosurface artefacts test case. Windows/OSX confirmation? Server Time
5 May 2024 23:31:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.8 Isosurface artefacts test case. Windows/OSX confirmation?
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 13 Oct 2019 15:20:04
Message: <web.5da377e06caf17cd4eec112d0@news.povray.org>

I'm not at all sure what deep C++ functions and libraries you're dealing with -
that gets down to a deeper level than I have ever gone.

I think I understand what you're struggling with - it's akin to the coincident
surface problem - so let me ask - would adding something like crand / jitter /
some other random noise to the function make it better or worse?
Say, something with a range from 0.99999 to 1.00001?   Or 1+/- E-7?

Not that it solves the underlying problem, but since it went undiscovered / was
well enough hidden for _this_ long, maybe the thing to do is just build a
deeper, plusher rug to sweep it under, with the humblest of apologies and a most
heartfelt promise to come back and fix it "later"   ;)

It's always the edge cases that take 90% of the time...   :|

Perhaps there's something along the lines of this that might spark some ideas?
http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.5c85aaecd4241a93765e06870%40news.povray.org%3E/