POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Generate Digital Elevation Model : Re: Generate Digital Elevation Model Server Time
26 Apr 2024 14:50:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Generate Digital Elevation Model
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 9 Oct 2019 14:10:00
Message: <web.5d9e2191fa5ba90b4eec112d0@news.povray.org>

https://pds-geosciences.wustl.edu/lro/lro-l-lola-3-rdr-v1/lrolol_1xxx/data/lola_gdr/cylindrical/img/)

> Thank you to everybody who wants to help me.
> Mauro

Well, based on this
https://www.loc.gov/preservation/digital/formats/fdd/fdd000420.shtml

and

https://web.archive.org/web/20070801195300/http://home.gdal.org/projects/imagine/img2tif_src.zip

You might have a shot at subdividing the sphere surface into a rectangular mesh,
and using tif heightfields.

But that would be a LOT of work, and use a lot of memory and parsing/rendering
time.

Maybe just find a bump map of the moon and uv-map the sphere, using the bump-map
to create the normals.

http://planetpixelemporium.com/earth.html