POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Generate normal map : Re: Generate normal map Server Time
28 Apr 2024 19:41:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Generate normal map
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 6 Oct 2019 09:25:01
Message: <web.5d99ea28892ac194eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"Josh" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

Yes, I need it rendered with a
> transparent background (alpha channel).
>
> Basically I need two images that are perfectly aligned. One is the normal map.
> The other is an image of the asteroid, with the features visible, but with no
> major shadows. That way the game engine can add light from any direction.
>
> Josh

Right, so the background and the normal map look good - the part that you may
want to experiment with is the lighting.  As I mentioned, changing the lighting
- or the way the object responds to the lighting (finish) can either accentuate
- or completely wipe out any visible features.   Because light and shadow (and
highlights/reflections) are the only visual cues you have to gauge shape and
depth.

I have it set to an area light, and left in a few options and commented-out
snippets of code for you to explore.

Others more skilled in the art (basically: everyone) may have better
recommendations for lighting and antialias settings.  Because those are NOT my
strong points.

Load up the .pov file (don't render it), and then load up the .ini file.
run the .ini file, and it will render the .pov file twice - one in gray and once
in normal_map mode, with transparent background.