POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Curved prism : Re: Curved prism Server Time
25 Apr 2024 22:45:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curved prism
From: Kima
Date: 21 Sep 2019 18:15:01
Message: <web.5d86a0af9447013ecc0fada0@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 09/09/2019 à 05:11, Kima a écrit :
> > I wonder if there is a way to create a curved prim (not the edges, but its
> > surface).
> >
> > Since prism already has an option of conic_sweep, the same principle may create
> > a curvature on its surface.
> >
> > In conic_sweep, the size of prism decreases linearly in the y-axis. Instead of a
> > linear decrease, can we shrink the prism along the y-axis to form a semi-sphere
> > instead of a sharp cone (of conic_sweep)?
> >

> Are you expecting something like the attached picture ?
> (faked so far, basic idea would use the curvature of a 2D curve to
> 'emboss' the line connecting two instances of the curve in parallele planes)
>
> Beware of conic prism, it is biased toward the axis at the origin.

Not exactly, as I want a curvature on the top of prism rather than its edges,
but it can work, as we can increase the curvature of the rounded edges to cover
the top surface.

However, there is no established approach to create rounded prisms (to my
knowledge). I reckon your image is by roundedprism macro. The available macro
only works for basic prim shapes provided by an array or outer points.