POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Curved prism : Re: Curved prism Server Time
26 Apr 2024 19:44:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curved prism
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 9 Sep 2019 14:15:01
Message: <web.5d76958194470134eec112d0@news.povray.org>
kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> A long time ago, Chris Colefax made macro for that. To download, there
> is this link on an archive: <http://www.oocities.org/ccolefax/bend.html>

Yes - I remember that, and it was exactly what I had in mind when I was
furiously trying to get the box to bend over here:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.5d4b7ce3a683fa3a4eec112d0%40news.povray.org%3E/

I think that for prisms that have any level of complexity, we'd need a method to
generate a "1-dimensional" version of the prism - the core of an offset curve -
or what are called "single line" fonts.

Then the edges of the prism could converge on that.

I'd say his best bet is probably straight CSG.
If he wants it to be smoothed, he'll need to make isosurface cylinders with
sphere-capped ends and blob them, or do the smooth_union thing.

But if there are going to be regions with different edge lengths, and therefore
give rise to cylinders of different radius, then he'd probably have to use
round-capped cones.

Tricksy it is, my Precious, but maybe this Hobbit has clever fingers...