POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tetrahedral planetoid : Re: Tetrahedral planetoid Server Time
3 May 2024 07:52:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tetrahedral planetoid
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 16 Jun 2019 09:40:00
Message: <web.5d0646457edc39d74eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"Ton" <ton### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Thanks Mr Bald and Mr Bill for the compliments.
> With tinkering I basically meant to start something from scratch, like this
> planetoid, which doesn't exist. For my Titanic and my Rocket I have drawings,
> which I can turn into SDL. I don't have the fantasy, or imagination, to come up
> with something new. (Been a software designer most of my life, which probably
> explains why I prefer Povray over Blender. You can program it, typing text
> files!)

I think you give yourself too little credit, and so allow yourself too few
opportunities for experimentation.
I can easily imagine you applying a shear transform to the Rocket or the whole
scene, or the camera, to give it that slanted, vertical focal-plane shutter
effect.

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?31903-Jacques-Henri-Lartigue-and-his-camera

or just give the whole ground plane a simple texture to give it that WHOOSH!
blurred effect.

https://wiredchop.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/clip_image003.jpg

You have all the tools - just start playing "what next?"
Change the textures?
Modify all the parts by translating the vertices by a noise function?
Stretch it, squish it, put it into an unfamiliar setting.
Maybe it's underwater or in space.
Maybe your water tank is clear with fish, or it's a cage full of monkeys.
Maybe it's completely redone as blobbed isosurfaces and textured to look like
Willy Wonka was about to take you on that unpredictable mushroom ride on a track
that goes to the stars...   :D

> Let's keep on using Povray, and keep typing.

Indeed.   I very much enjoy the fact that I can come here and see CSG scenes
like yours that are so solidly done as to be truly impressive in both dedication
and technical attention to detail, as well as the completely experimental and
exploratory experiments in data structures, code, and abstract images that are
just for fun.

There is still SO much that can be done, that I am learning something new almost
every day, or rediscovering something that I had forgotten.  The standard Insert
Menu alone is enough to make me say "Oh, right ... _that_ exists...." and keep
one busy tinkering.

Keep up the good work and don't doubt yourself.  :)
Maybe Bill Pragnell needs some trains and ships for his tetrahedral planetoid
;)