POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : colors from images : Re: colors from images Server Time
25 Apr 2024 16:26:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: colors from images
From: Norbert Kern
Date: 13 May 2019 13:00:00
Message: <web.5cd9a275b81912f83c1c78400@news.povray.org>
> "Norbert Kern" <nor### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
>
> > here is my attempt to depict the colors in images (code in p.b.s-f.)
>
> Very nice.  These look better than what I was fooling with a while back.
> I'll try to envision the function and the "color space" that you're graphing
> this in - but it's too early and I've not had enough coffee yet.   ;)
>

> > like John Wick gets a new look based on strong purples. A similar effect can be
> > seen at recent Avengers: Endgame posters.
>
> Hmmm.  I don't know much about this.  I've only seen some discussion of "color
> matching" of film frames in the LOTR extended extras.   Is that the kind of
> thing you're talking about?
> "The usual"?  For what?  Most movies, or that series?
>

> "A POV implementation...."   I'm not sure what you mean by that.
> A way to force the color map to be limited to that range of colors?
>

> Something interesting that I noticed with these two is that the top graph has a
> ring of missing black, and the bottom one has the black present, and all the way
> around.

http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/thread/%3Cweb.5789343436e895bcb488d9aa0@news.povray.org%3E/

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.58cfc0cf857600e8c437ac910%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=4224
76

> There was also another thread around that time where someone was processing
> video and doing an animation of the color palette - can't find it at the moment.

Many thanks - I wasn't conscious about the second link - very interesting.
First I used a cubic space too, but hsl space is more convincing in the end.
Personally I use it as a tool to detect color errors in my images. Here is an
example with the last version of an old image of mine...

Because I render 16 bit png images, there aren't many defects as in 8 bit jpegs.
But what you mentioned, is something different. I included the web origins in
the source (p.b.s-f).
Perhaps the JW3 person didn't process the poster as heavily as the other one -
DP2.

"Orange-Teal" is one of the most common color-grading effects used at
movie-making or by professional photographers.
There are many variants like enhencing blue colors in shadows and orange ones in
highlights and a bit in midtones.

I made a pov version, which gave ugly results and I cannot even find the file...

Norbert

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'i2c_vertraeumt.jpg' (658 KB)