POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Visual Studio Code as a Cross-Platform POV-Ray Editor with Integrated Rende= : Visual Studio Code as a Cross-Platform POV-Ray Editor with Integrated Rende= Server Time
26 Apr 2024 05:27:10 EDT (-0400)
  Visual Studio Code as a Cross-Platform POV-Ray Editor with Integrated Rende=
From: J  Max Wilson
Date: 11 May 2019 14:55:00
Message: <web.5cd716916914cc44c30f38c00@news.povray.org>
I posted about this in the povray.tools.general group back on April 16th, but
didn't get any responses, so I thought maybe I should share it here as well.

Visual Studio Code is a fantastic open source, cross-platform code editor
created and maintained by Microsoft. It has a powerful extension API that can be
used to add syntax highlighting, code snippets, intellisense, linting, and build
tasks. Developers have created extensions to add support for
just about every programming and scripting language under the sun.

I've created an extension that adds POV-Ray support to Visual Studio Code. It
turns VS Code into a powerful cross-platform POV-Ray editor. If you have POV-Ray
installed to run on the command line, the extension can also run POV-Ray to
render the current scene file and display the resulting image right in VS Code.

It's still a work in progress, but it is highly functional, and there have been
many bug fixes and improvements since I first posted about it a month ago.

Here is an animated gif of VS Code + POV-Ray in action:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jmaxwilson/vscode-povray/master/images/vscode-povray-demo.gif

It works on Windows 10, Mac OS X, and Linux distros supported by VS Code like
Ubuntu.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Download Visual Studio Code:
https://code.visualstudio.com/

Install the POV-Ray extension:
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=jmaxwilson.vscode-povray

( If you want to use the integrated render feature, you will need to have
POV-Ray installed and configured to run on the command line, and make sure it
can be run from any directory by adding it to your PATH. )

Thanks!