POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : George Stephenson's Rocket : Re: George Stephenson's Rocket Server Time
26 Apr 2024 22:13:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: George Stephenson's Rocket
From: Ton
Date: 9 May 2019 05:25:01
Message: <web.5cd3f1196bc50fb5b7f0d98c0@news.povray.org>
> Is it just me? I believe that these early innovations (including also
> the Eifel Tower) have much more artistic/aesthetic appeal than, lets
> say... a Saturn 5 rocket! I know that modern design can be aesthetically
> attractive too once in a while, but it has not that same "glow" as those
> 19th century products.
>
> --
> Thomas

I don't think it's just you. Compare Amsterdam Centraal Station with for
instance Eindhoven, or other modern railway stations.
A very fine example of Victorian design is this sewage pumping station in
England:
http://www.annandave.org/Abby%20Mills.htm

Its main purpose is (was) pumping London sewage into the Thames. It looks like a
castle, and inside.....

Cheers
Ton.