POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : mountain and and : Re: mountain and and Server Time
1 May 2024 18:57:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mountain and and
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 3 Feb 2019 12:45:02
Message: <web.5c57285b6bbc5191765e06870@news.povray.org>
ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> in news:5c569fc3$1@news.povray.org Thomas de Groot wrote:
>
> > http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/attachment/%3Cweb.4ac2c5
> > 52a7005b411322341f0@news.povray.org%3E/landscapetutorial.pov.txt
> >

> Interesting.
> There once was an include file for realistic sky/(fog?) based on media
> that had proper absortion depending on the suns angle. Can't find it :(
>
> Regarding tree placement, it would be nice if we could use voronoi
> (crackle) some howe to determine how big the crown of a tree can be before
> intersecting with the surrounding ones.
> The centre of the cell would be the trunk. The size of the cell the crown
> and the height of the tree.
>
> http://math.lbl.gov/voro++/examples/ for inspiration,
>
> ingo

That's a rather brilliant idea.   :)

I have a .pov file where I copied the POV-Ray source for the crackle pattern,
hoping to decode it / translate it into SDL, for use in such scenes where the
parameters of the Voronoi diagram are user-accessible, but I have a lot to learn
about C++ and mysterious things like operator overloading....

That said, there's the way to "fake" a Voronoi diagram with overlapping cones.
Perhaps there's a way to do something with an array of cone-axes, and either
brute-force "collision detection" (overlap within a given radius) or using a
quad-tree plus collision detection, difference{} away the surrounding cones, and
then use trace() to determine the radius of the inscribed circle.

This might help a lot too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaunay_triangulation#Algorithms