POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : perspective user defined camera? : Re: perspective user defined camera? Server Time
1 May 2024 08:11:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: perspective user defined camera?
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 31 Jan 2019 21:40:01
Message: <web.5c53afdb62f29219765e06870@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:

> > So, let's say there are 2 views (I think that might be necessary to get Z), each
> > showing the same cube (and maybe a reference point like the origin) from a
> > different vantage point.
> > I'm presuming that a matrix would be the best way to reverse-project back to
> > where the camera should be?

> I'm not sure if I understand what you mean.

Assume you have 2 renders of something like [an] object[s] in a Cornell box

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_box

(but you DON'T have the SDL written to generate said render[s] )

Presumably if there's some known reference dimension[s], then one ought to be
able
to reproduce the geometry - size, shape - of all the objects in the scene.

I assumed it might require at least a second render from a different angle -
preferably an orthogonal one, or if necessary, additional ones that reveal
occluded details.

Probably the camera angle would be needed to construct an accurate projection
matrix, as well.

I was just considering it as an extension of the discussion and experiments at

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C5baddad1%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=424795

and

http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/thread/%3C5bb67852%40news.povray.org%3E/

but expanding it to deal with more data.

Collect data from analyzing / measuring one render, couple that with data from a
second render (different vantage point) and one could quickly, albeit roughly,
recreate a scene when perhaps the source was lost, unavailable, etc.