POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Apparent circular pattern of scratches : Re: Apparent circular pattern of scratches Server Time
28 Apr 2024 16:00:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Apparent circular pattern of scratches
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 26 Jan 2019 15:05:01
Message: <web.5c4cbc425e3f4450765e06870@news.povray.org>
"omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
> "Norbert Kern" <nor### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > here is my attempt, using a layered texture and an imagefile for the scratches

> > Norbert

Holy crap.  :O

> I like that, fine scratches or scuffed. Great how it follows the curvatures and
> reflected light.

I think that's an important part of the effect - the halo of concentric
scratches.

> Any criticism I can think of would be that some lines appear to radiate outward
> from the lit areas, showing up as bright as the other, non-radial lines. Which
> is what was mentioned before about the original idea, so I wonder how that
> directional condition could be achieved? Seems like a polarization effect needed
> to do that anyhow.

Yeah - I'm also still very curious as to what gives rise to that selective
effect IRL.  I'd be tempted to predict that only a series of oriented lines
would reflect strongly - not a circular pattern.  I mean, it's not like
completely random scratches adopt a circular pattern - so it must necessarily be
a purely optical effect.