POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : image based normal maps? : Re: image based normal maps? Server Time
1 May 2024 23:10:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image based normal maps?
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 22 Jan 2019 06:20:01
Message: <web.5c46fc2ee20dd126765e06870@news.povray.org>
> BTW, while working on the parser source code I just noticed that there's
> a parameter to control the "resolution" of the internal sampling, called
> `accuracy`. It defaults to 0.02, which explains why it's at this order
> of magnitude that strange things kick in.

Nice.  I love it when all of these posts and experiments and collaborations and
under-the-hood investigations have their periodic coincidences.  :)

So many little thing to be learned even after all this time.

Can you comment on the sharp rings / elevation lines in the noise pattern?
(I can post a render in p.b.i. if needed)
It was unexpected, and I couldn't get rid of them by changing the [over]sampling
delta.  There's a soft, fluffy, smooth noise as the background - softer than
expected, actually, but then the rings were "WTH are _those_?"