POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Some older renderings from an old POVhead : Re: Some older renderings from an old POVhead Server Time
27 Apr 2024 11:54:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some older renderings from an old POVhead
From: Samuel B
Date: 13 Jan 2019 15:20:00
Message: <web.5c3b9c70555f9722102e48c00@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>

> > First up is an image of the planet Earth lit up at night. A point light was
> > placed at the very top of the sphere to project a semi-transparent image onto
> > the plane... or I used spherical inversion. Can't remember, but the result is
> > nearly the same either way. The bloom is from a newer technique that uses 2-pass
> > separable gaussian blur. Faster, but not too flexible.
> >

> About your first grass image: Is the gaussian blur/bloom done as a
> post-processing effect in Photoshop (or the like)? Or is it by some magical
> trick(s) within POV-Ray itself? (I assume the former.) In any case, that bloom
> adds a great deal of 'camera realism' to the grass render-- 'reducing' the hard
> edges from what are usually pin-sharp rendered objects. It looks much more like
> a real camera photo this way, IMO. (Meaning, an 'old'-style photo using actual
> film.)
>
> Really nice. Ditto your AO and SSAO experiments.

The gaussian blur was produced in two passes using POV-Ray. The idea is to blur
the image horizontally on the first pass, and then vertically on the second.
This saves a lot of computation time since the problem is no longer x_res *
y_res, but is now x_res + y_res. It's not nearly as flexible as other ways of
producing bloom effects, though...