POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : RMS Titanic : Re: RMS Titanic Server Time
16 May 2024 09:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RMS Titanic
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 14 Dec 2018 18:40:00
Message: <web.5c143ef570fe5398765e06870@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> Bishop3D uses bicubic patches. That is what I used to throw my image
> together.

I always forget about Bishop - but I hardly ever use a modeler.

> It can also import a subset of Pov ver 3.6 sdl.

That's pretty cool!  :)   I don't think there are any other software packages
that can _import from_ POV-Ray   :O

> Moray uses bicubic patches and its method is better. It can create
> stitched together bicubic patches.

Hmm.  Been a few years since I fired up Moray - does it spit out SDL?

> <aside> I should have mentioned that when Bald Eagle was doing it
> programmatically. Sorry Bill, it could have served as a reference. </aside>

No worries.   It was mostly an exercise in learning how to wrestle bicubic
patches into shape, contiguously, and with normals.  Also how to place objects
ON the surface.

But I will file that info away in the rusty sieve inside my head...   :D

> Early this morning I found that Nvidia had rendering software called
> Gelato that can use bicubic patches and Nvidia GPUs. It is no longer
> supported but it is free to download. It cost 1500 USD at the time.
> The download came with 3DMax, Mayo and Renderman plugins.
> I will try the free version of Renderman and see if I can get it working.

I'd use a modeler more often if I could bounce back and forth between it and the
editor --- or the best thing would be to somehow have some sort of real-time
faux-traced preview as the SDL got written...  wireframe or something