POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Colour from single trace : Re: Colour from single trace Server Time
28 Apr 2024 22:50:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colour from single trace
From: And
Date: 3 Dec 2018 09:50:00
Message: <web.5c05411d306629fe25503a850@news.povray.org>
> Am 17.11.2018 um 05:18 schrieb And:
>
> >> And it's a kind of 5 minutes patch, see at;
> >> https://github.com/LeForgeron/povray/tree/feature/traceUvMap
> >>

> > Sorry, how to use...
> >
> > I mean github
>
> I guess the most important things to know (in this case):
>
> - What the link takes you to is GitHub's overview of a patched version
> of POV-Ray.
>
> - Clicking on the green "Clone or download" button and then "Download
> ZIP" (at the bottom of the pop-up) will download a ZIP package
> containing that version's complete source code.
>
> - The version does not come with binaries, so to use it on a Windows
> machine you would have to compile it yourself.

I think I will use this function in the future, but temporary not.

In fact I'm unable to compile it.

> Am 16.11.2018 um 20:34 schrieb Alain:
>
> > So, it should look somewhat like :
> >
> > #declare Location= trace( Object, Start, Dir, Normal, UV_Location );
>
> Yes, that would be the trivial-to-implement solution.
>
> > or
> >
> > #declare Location= trace( Object, Start, Dir, Normal, UV_colour );
>
> In this case, it would be more like:
>
>      #declare Location= trace( Object, Start, Dir, Normal, colour );

From my perspective UV_Location = trace_uv_map(Object, Start, Dir); is better,
after all not every objects have uv map.

#declare Location= trace( Object, Start, Dir, Normal, UV_Location ); does the
same function (for my needs)

At the beginning I want this function because I want to create some scene. E.g
fungus growing on a rock. And I want to produce the rock with a third party
software like blender, and paint a texture on it to design the density of
fungus. If I have the trace uv map function I can trace the rock to get the
color of texture, then use random() <? texture color to decide whether
is the fungus there to achieve my intention.